Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 1.5 - 'When I Grow Up'

Ask any adult what they do for a living - go ahead, I'll wait.

___________________________________________


Got your answer? Cool.

Most people will give you the company name and position of what they do. Nothing wrong with that.

Once in a while, you'll get a weird answer - especially if you ask them at work.  I met a fella who was working for an alarm installation company who told me he was an actor.  Was he researching a role or something?

Nope - he liked performing at a community theater.  Neat and all, but what he really does is install alarms - acting is his hobby.  I asked him what he was doing toward making acting his career(classes, auditions, etc.). He got pretty pissed off when I asked, claiming there was no time for that sort of thing, too many obligations(he was single, no kids), and told me acting was his passion.  Someday the right critic would see him, and his dream career would be launched.

Uh-huh.  Because big time theater critics regularly scout obscure community theaters.  And he's looking for casting directors, not critics - but he didn't want to hear that either.  Dreamers don't like nasty facts getting in the way of a good fantasy.

The thing is, this guy isn't particularly unusual.  He hated his job, has a dream - and is doing absolutely nothing toward making that dream a reality.

I'm not going to lie to anyone - unless your dream career involves temping or retail, it's going to be difficult.  There will be real work involved.

That's the bit that seems to trip people up - acting, writing, photography - the creation is work, hard work, but it's really just the beginning.

What else is needed to get from point A to point B?  

The very first thing is a clearly defined goal.  'I wanna direct movies/be an actor/be a photographer/etc., is an ok start - but not clear enough to focus on.

'I wanna be a world famous x with the fancy cars, houses, etc.' - maybe clear, but not very realistic.  What we're shooting for here, is making enough money to live on, while doing something that makes us happy.

Personally, I want to be a number of things - and you get to watch me fumbling towards those goals, and hopefully learn from my mistakes.

My first goal-in-progress is writing fiction, and we'll talk about what I'm doing in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment